Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I hate Voicemails

1. Dentists call and leave voicemails as reminders for appointments.
2. I had a dentist appointment scheduled for Monday.

A. Sidekick mobile phones "pop" open, with a strong magnet that keeps the keyboard covered until you press it just so.
B. I have a Sidekick mobile phone.

I. I have Jack Burton-like reflexes.

This morning I was getting ready to go into the office (doing a bit of contract work to stave off the inevitable starving/homelessness). I was on autopilot, planning my day and gathering my accessories (keys, water bottle, etc.) when I came back into my bedroom and saw that my Sidekick (see: B., above) had a message waiting.

I decided to multitask and check my phone and get my wallet from the jeans I wore last night. Crazy, I know.

I unlocked my phone and saw it was a voice mail, rather than a txt, so I (keeping the phone closed) called my voice mail and held the phone up to my left ear/cheek. I reached down to get my wallet, and then disaster struck.

Evidently, I moved my face too far from my left shoulder, because the phone started to fall down. Using my incredible dexterity (see: I., above) I reached up with my left hand, while keeping my right one in the pocket of the jeans on my dresser.

Unfortunately, this maneuver was too complicated. My left hand successfully pushed my phone back up against my left cheek, and I was able to continue to listen to the voicemail from my dentist's office (see: 1. and 2., above)... BUT I also triggered my phone to open (see: A., above).

The cover of the phone flipped open with some force... directly into my left eye.

Ouch. My eye is still hurting and watering and I'm reminded, once again, that I hate voicemails (see: Subject for this blog entry).

No comments: